Tube Bundle Gas Monitoring System
Norditech is a leading expert in designing, manufacturing and maintaining state-of-the-art ANZEx Certified tube bundle gas monitoring systems. These systems are a critical component in ensuring the safety of underground coal mining operations. While real-time sensors are used to detect sudden changes, such as an onset of fire, tube bundle gas monitoring systems are widely used for long term trending are highly efficient in the early detection of hazardous gases such as methane, carbon monoxide, and carbon dioxide, which can create an explosive atmosphere, fire, or spontaneous combustion. Additionally, the tube bundle system is crucial in determining the safety of the mine for re-entry after an incident or emergency evacuation, as reliability is essential when evaluating the safety of the underground atmosphere in emergencies.
Our tube bundle system (TBS) measures gases from multiple sample points underground using long sample tubes that transport air samples to surface-level analysis hardware. Typically, Australian longwall coal mines use 30-40 sampling points in sealed areas/goafs and the general ventilation system as part of the overall atmospheric monitoring program. The system is versatile and can be adapted to detect a variety of gases as needed.
An Allen Bradley PLC system controls the tube bundle system directly, managing the sample tube selection, monitoring the gas analysers, and generating alarms based on gas concentration and equipment status. The alarm system has three aspects, ensuring that abnormal conditions are brought to the attention of mine personnel, continuously monitored until rectified, and reactivated if necessary. It’s designed to simplify and ensure the safety of monitoring underground mine gas atmospheres. The goal is to empower ventilation engineers to achieve world-class standards in the gas/ventilation area.
In addition to the tube bundle gas monitoring system, Norditech also provides a state-of-the-art ANZEx Certified Gas chromatography (GC) system, housed in a custom 10ft container (GC POD). This system is perfectly suited for monitoring gases crucial in the interpretation of spontaneous combustion events, including hydrogen, nitrogen, ethylene, and ethane, providing a complete analysis of these gases. The GC POD is designed as an add-on to the main TBS and can be added at any stage. It is easily transportable, allowing for flexibility in deployment and installation.
Norditech’s Tube Bundle Gas Monitoring System is based on a Modular Design
Key Features and Benefits
- ANZEx Certified tube bundle system in custom 20ft container
- ANZEx Certified Gas chromatography (GC) system in custom 10ft container (GC POD)
- Modular design reduces operational cost, expandable from 10 to 40 points as required
- Easy to maintain thanks to smart component layout
- Full steel framework construction
- Real-time flow monitoring at each point
- Easily relocatable due to integrated design
- Use of Ethernet I/O modules
- Integrated gas cylinder compartment (holds 5+ cylinders)
- Stainless steel tubing and Swagelok fittings
- High-quality components used throughout.
- Mine spec gas analyser
- Analyser panel
- Filter panels
- Blowback panels
- Internal real-time gas sensors
- PLC/Control cabinet
- Tool chests/Workbench; includes all tools required to maintain the TBS
- ExD ventilation system
- Safety PLC
- Allan Bradley Control Logix PLC
- Audible and visual alarms
- Sample and purge Pump stands
- Intuitive interactive Human Machine Interface – HMI
- Fire panel
- Fire suppression system
- Marshalling panel
TBS Engineering and Manufacturing
Norditech provides a comprehensive, turnkey solution for your Tube Bundle System (TBS) project. Our solution encompasses every aspect of TBS monitoring, including site assessment, project management, engineering, design and operational risk assessment, fabrication, quality assurance (QA), certification, installation, factory acceptance testing (FAT), site acceptance testing (SAT), and maintenance.
The TBS design and manufacturing process is carried out in compliance with relevant Australian Standards or international standards in their absence. These standards include, but are not limited to:
- AS/NZS 2290.3 Electrical equipment for coal mines
- AS/NZS 1170: Structural Design Actions
- AS/NZS 1319: Safety Signs for the Occupational Environment
- AS/NZS 1768: Lightning Protection
- AS/NZS 2312: Guide to the Protection of Structural Steel against Exterior Atmospheric Corrosion by use of Protective Coatings
- AS/NZS 3000: Electrical Installations (Australian/New Zealand Wiring Rules)
- AS/NZS 3007: Electrical Equipment in Mines and Quarries
- AS/NZS ISO 31000: Risk Management
- AS 4041 – 2006 Pressure piping
- AS 60079.0 Explosive atmospheres Equipment – General requirements
- AS 60079.10 Classification of areas – Explosive gas atmospheres
- AS 60079.13 Equipment protection by pressurized room ‘p’ and artificially ventilated room ‘v’
- AS 61508.1 Functional safety of electrical/electronic/programmable electronic safety-related systems Part 1: General requirements
- AS 61508.5 Functional safety of electrical/electronic/programmable electronic safety-related systems Part 5: Examples of methods for the determination of safety integrity levels
- IEC61285 Industrial-process control – Safety of analyser houses AS/NZS 60079: Explosive Atmospheres (series)
- AS/NZS 60529: Degrees of Protection Provided by Enclosures (IP Code)
- AS/IEC 61511 Functional safety—Safety instrumented systems for the process industry sector
- ISO13849 Safety of machinery — Safety-related parts of control systems
Norditech’s team of experienced engineers and technicians bring a wealth of knowledge and expertise to TBS design and engineering. With over 50 years of combined experience, our systems are designed with both longevity and efficiency in mind, ensuring that common mistakes and pitfalls are avoided. This results in a proven and reliable TBS solution that is built to last. The use of high-quality components and materials, coupled with robust and reliable engineering processes, result in a TBS solution that you can trust.
TBS Maintenance Services
We offer a comprehensive range of services to ensure the safe and effective operation of tube bundle systems. Our qualified personnel have the technical expertise to ensure safe operation during installation and maintenance.
Maximising uptime, productivity, and safety is our goal. With years of experience and a deep understanding of TBS, our team quickly identifies and resolves any issues that arise. Our maintenance program and NATA-accredited calibration services ensure that your TBS is running at its best, saving you time and money while keeping your site and personnel safe.
Using our experienced team for TBS maintenance eliminates guesswork and costly errors. We provide expert advice and are highly responsive, giving you peace of mind knowing that your system is operating at its optimal level.
If you’re searching for a TBS solution, our team of experienced engineers and technicians is ready to assist. Contact us today to learn about our comprehensive TBS engineering, design and maintenance services. Get a customised quote tailored to your needs.